Welcome to Everything Careers!
My name is Monira Ahmed, and this is my personal blog full of careers & employability news, advice and reflections. If you’re a student or graduate looking for some careers inspiration or tips, a fellow careers professional, or just someone with a keen interest in the world of work, then this blog is for you (all views are my own). I would love to hear from you, so please do connect with me on my social media!
I’m an award – winning careers professional based in the UK higher education sector. For more than a decade, I’ve worked in diverse roles to enable students and graduates to succeed in a changing global jobs market. Currently I’m a Careers Adviser, specialising in diversity and international support.
It sounds like a cliche, but when I was at university, the one thing I was certain about in terms of my future was that I wanted to make a difference to people’s lives and have a “rewarding” career. In fact, listening to a fascinating lecture by a journalist on racial inequality and religious discrimination in the UK gave me the inspiration to help others overcome barriers and realise their potential.
However, it wasn’t all plain sailing to begin with; after I graduated, I was floating from job to job with very little prospects. But in 2002, after taking part in a graduate employability programme, I got my lucky break – a job in higher education promoting diversity and supporting students’ career prospects.
One thing I’ve learnt is that when one door closes, there is most definitely something better on the horizon. Never give up and keep trying. I’ve had the most amazing professional journey, and it all began with that inspiring journalist!
Here are some of my highlights and projects I’ve been involved in:
- British Muslim Awards 2017 – Winner for Services to Education
- National ‘Careers Champion’ Winner February 2016
Higher education projects
- Successful 1st Careers/Networking Event for BME students organised by UCLan Careers February 2016
Other North West universities
- Double Award – Winning Outlook Diversity Mentoring Programme 2002 – 2009
- Award – Winning International Students Mentoring Programme 2009, funded by the Prime Minister’s Initiative for International Education (PMI2) in partnership with National Association of Student Employment Services (NASES)
- Empowering young Muslim women through public speaking training, interfaith engagement with Ilm to Amal (Knowledge to Action) charity
- Career development session with young Muslim men in Bury, Greater Manchester
Other articles and media
- Podcast: learning from different cultures at university – guest speaker on Learning to Leap
- Using your language skills – TARGETJobs
- Mentoring is key for nurturing Islamic finance talent – Simply Sharia HC